
10.06.09
So, it looks like we're having a baby! "Wow" is an understatement. "Holy Shit" is an understatement. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" closely approximates the feeling.
Here I am, 30 years old, having a BLAST with my husband (time of my life, couldn't ask for anything more), and somehow it seems we've made the decision to just up-end the whole ship and change our life.
Are we excited? Hell yeah!
Are we nervous? Absolutely.
...But more than that, I feel anxious. I want to know what's happening, and I want the baby to be here NOW! I think Johnny feels the same way. Once you decide on something, you want to just move towards it. No delays, no second guessing, just GO GO GO.
But with a baby, it doesn't exactly work that way. You have to wait 38 freaking weeks for this thing to actually happen! BTW... I think it's ridiculous that they start counting your weeks of pregnancy before you are actually pregnant... in truth pregnancy is 38 weeks, not 40. But I digress...
Don't get me wrong, it's not like you can second guess being pregnant... you just are. (well.. after the whole "when two people love each other very much..." part. hee hee) But now that we're in the waiting time period, this feels like agony! Already! And I'm only 5 weeks along! The baby isn't a baby yet, it's just a few cells (well, maybe a few million cells).
aye aye aye... for those of you who know me well (and only those who know me well are allowed to look at this blog), this is torture! I'm a "get'er done" type of person. I make a decision and BOOM, make it happen. But this... waiting... and waiting... and waiting. Already I'm complaining about this and have only known I was pregnant for 5 days.
So, the reason for this blog, at the moment, is to provide a little venting for my pressure cooker brain. I think I'll go insane without some place to jot down some thoughts or humorous things.
And don't worry... I'm not going to tell anyone about this until past the three month mark. Just in case something unexpected happens... you never know. Speaking of which, is it true that more and more women are miscarrying their first pregnancy? I think I heard that the statistic was around 50% of first pregnancies miscarry. geez. Not great odds.
... By the way... Kim... you're the reason I say "geez" all the time. I think of you every time I do it. :)
So... no real news to report right now. No vomiting, but a little nausea throughout the day. (why, oh why do they call it morning sickness when it happens all day and all night? that is such a crock! I think it's irresponsible marketing... false promises made to mothers-to-be)
By the way, I found out two things that I didn't know about pregnancy yesterday.
1) I can't eat deli meat!
No kidding... I can't believe it! My diet regularly contains deli sandwiches and now it seems I'm going to be forced to cook for myself for lunch! (working at home and all that jazz) Who would have thought that you couldn't have something as simple as deli meat when you were pregnant. Last weekend, after we found out I was pregnant, but before I found out about the deli meat thing, Johnny and I split a sandwich from Safeway. He looked at me and asked, "Are you sure you can have mayonnaise"? I laughed and said, of course, thinking he was just being cute (it's so sweet... he asks me that with almost every meal... "are you sure you can have that?")... but now I'm thinking, OH CRAP! If I can't have deli meat, maybe I can't have mayonnaise. And so I begin scouring the internet for all sites about what not to eat when you're pregnant. And here's where I learn that blogs are NOT the best place to get information. For everyone that says "don't do this" there's someone else that says "I did it and my baby turned out fine". This is frustrating for an engineering type like me because I think that there should be an answer in the back of the book! Or that you should be able to analyze the crap out of something and come up with a solid position about it! But alas, I'm sure this is my first lesson in parenting. There is never going to be only one right answer, and only one right way to do something. Heaven help my indecisive mind and the husband who must tolerate me!
2) I can eat shellfish!
I was almost positive that I couldn't eat mussels or clams while pregnant, but it turns out you can! You just can't eat raw oysters (which I've actually come to enjoy in the last few years... so that's a bummer).
Last weekend we were up in Seattle, which gave us a fantastic opportunity to tell my Mother, Carly, that she was FINALLY going to be a grand mother. Can I just say that that was the MOST fun ever! Her reaction was so fantastic... in true Carly fashion she cried, wailed, laughed, danced, sang, praised God... it was awesome!
Anyway... Mom made a pasta for dinner that had mussels in it. I didn't eat the mussels, but now I know I could have. Hmm. Interesting. Mussels seem like a much more dangerous thing than deli meat, don't they?
ahhh... ok. I think I've vented enough for right now.
oh... by the way... the name of the blog...
you know... wondering if it's going to be a boy or a girl (pink / blue)... then thinking about what color to paint the baby's room (I think I like sage green right now)... and then the word "sage" also is used to mean wise... I don't know, probably over thinking it... but that's how it came about.
C-ya!
Here I am, 30 years old, having a BLAST with my husband (time of my life, couldn't ask for anything more), and somehow it seems we've made the decision to just up-end the whole ship and change our life.
Are we excited? Hell yeah!
Are we nervous? Absolutely.
...But more than that, I feel anxious. I want to know what's happening, and I want the baby to be here NOW! I think Johnny feels the same way. Once you decide on something, you want to just move towards it. No delays, no second guessing, just GO GO GO.
But with a baby, it doesn't exactly work that way. You have to wait 38 freaking weeks for this thing to actually happen! BTW... I think it's ridiculous that they start counting your weeks of pregnancy before you are actually pregnant... in truth pregnancy is 38 weeks, not 40. But I digress...
Don't get me wrong, it's not like you can second guess being pregnant... you just are. (well.. after the whole "when two people love each other very much..." part. hee hee) But now that we're in the waiting time period, this feels like agony! Already! And I'm only 5 weeks along! The baby isn't a baby yet, it's just a few cells (well, maybe a few million cells).
aye aye aye... for those of you who know me well (and only those who know me well are allowed to look at this blog), this is torture! I'm a "get'er done" type of person. I make a decision and BOOM, make it happen. But this... waiting... and waiting... and waiting. Already I'm complaining about this and have only known I was pregnant for 5 days.
So, the reason for this blog, at the moment, is to provide a little venting for my pressure cooker brain. I think I'll go insane without some place to jot down some thoughts or humorous things.
And don't worry... I'm not going to tell anyone about this until past the three month mark. Just in case something unexpected happens... you never know. Speaking of which, is it true that more and more women are miscarrying their first pregnancy? I think I heard that the statistic was around 50% of first pregnancies miscarry. geez. Not great odds.
... By the way... Kim... you're the reason I say "geez" all the time. I think of you every time I do it. :)
So... no real news to report right now. No vomiting, but a little nausea throughout the day. (why, oh why do they call it morning sickness when it happens all day and all night? that is such a crock! I think it's irresponsible marketing... false promises made to mothers-to-be)
By the way, I found out two things that I didn't know about pregnancy yesterday.
1) I can't eat deli meat!
No kidding... I can't believe it! My diet regularly contains deli sandwiches and now it seems I'm going to be forced to cook for myself for lunch! (working at home and all that jazz) Who would have thought that you couldn't have something as simple as deli meat when you were pregnant. Last weekend, after we found out I was pregnant, but before I found out about the deli meat thing, Johnny and I split a sandwich from Safeway. He looked at me and asked, "Are you sure you can have mayonnaise"? I laughed and said, of course, thinking he was just being cute (it's so sweet... he asks me that with almost every meal... "are you sure you can have that?")... but now I'm thinking, OH CRAP! If I can't have deli meat, maybe I can't have mayonnaise. And so I begin scouring the internet for all sites about what not to eat when you're pregnant. And here's where I learn that blogs are NOT the best place to get information. For everyone that says "don't do this" there's someone else that says "I did it and my baby turned out fine". This is frustrating for an engineering type like me because I think that there should be an answer in the back of the book! Or that you should be able to analyze the crap out of something and come up with a solid position about it! But alas, I'm sure this is my first lesson in parenting. There is never going to be only one right answer, and only one right way to do something. Heaven help my indecisive mind and the husband who must tolerate me!
2) I can eat shellfish!
I was almost positive that I couldn't eat mussels or clams while pregnant, but it turns out you can! You just can't eat raw oysters (which I've actually come to enjoy in the last few years... so that's a bummer).
Last weekend we were up in Seattle, which gave us a fantastic opportunity to tell my Mother, Carly, that she was FINALLY going to be a grand mother. Can I just say that that was the MOST fun ever! Her reaction was so fantastic... in true Carly fashion she cried, wailed, laughed, danced, sang, praised God... it was awesome!
Anyway... Mom made a pasta for dinner that had mussels in it. I didn't eat the mussels, but now I know I could have. Hmm. Interesting. Mussels seem like a much more dangerous thing than deli meat, don't they?
ahhh... ok. I think I've vented enough for right now.
oh... by the way... the name of the blog...
you know... wondering if it's going to be a boy or a girl (pink / blue)... then thinking about what color to paint the baby's room (I think I like sage green right now)... and then the word "sage" also is used to mean wise... I don't know, probably over thinking it... but that's how it came about.
C-ya!
No comments:
Post a Comment