Thursday, April 15, 2010

On Children

At my labor prep 1/1 class last Friday, my instructor included the following poem in my packet of material. My first thought was, "Wow, I want to send this to our parents!" My second thought was, "Wow, I hope to live into this as a parent." Enjoy...

On Children
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters
of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you, they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls.
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit,
not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and he bends you with his might
so that the arrow may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies,
so he loves also the bow that is stable.
- from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you're not familiar with this. Honey gave me a copy of The Prophet when I was about 16 years old. It's been on the bookshelf of every house I've ever lived in since. In fact, you or Johnny unpacked it for me and put it in the bookshelf in the middle bedroom. Its a great book, and I take the chapter on children to heart. It's the philosophy I've strived to keep while raising you.

    Just now I pulled it off the shelf and opened it up. Inside the first page are scribble marks with red crayon - made by you as a toddler.

    Love you sooooo much!
    Mommy

    Love you,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom -
    How cute about the crayola marks. Ha ha, that's great! It doesn't surprise me that Honey gave you a copy, she was so hip. I've not read it. Can I borrow yours? Or should I just buy a used copy for myself?

    Love you too -
    C

    ReplyDelete