Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Happiest Baby... Preggo Pains... and only 78-ish days to go!

Who else has read the book, "Happiest Baby on the Block"? There's also a DVD, and I gotta tell ya, this concept sounds absolutely incredible!

Here's the deal...
Everyone knows that babies are born with reflexes such as the "rooting reflex" which turns their head in the direction of physical stimulation so that they can find their food source (ie, Mama's Ta-Ta). This is just one reflex that babies are known to be born with... the idea behind the "Happiest Baby" book is that babies also are born with a "Calming Reflex" which can turn a colicky baby into a sweet content baby in a matter of seconds.

Seriously! It's trippy!
The DVD shows videos of this doctor using the techniques and literally a screaming baby (0-3 months) goes from being totally upset to being absolutely blissful in 5 - 15 seconds. I can't wait to try it out! (and hope it works on our baby as it does on TV). You should Google it, or look for YouTube links. It's so cool! I've already gotten a few endorsements (three or four) from other Moms I know who say this is an absolute lifesaver, so I'm pretty sure it's legit.

Preggo Pains...
Our baby now weighs about 2 1/4 pounds, and I think I'm finally starting to really feel pregnant (physically). Throughout the day I get these little twinges and pulls in my lower abdomen as though someone is plucking guitar strings that connect my pelvic floor to my spine. (ouch!) It's kind of a combination of menstrual cramp feeling, and a real muscle pull. (hard to explain, but I'm sure you mothers out there know exactly what I'm talking about). And when I think about how much my body still has to change before delivery, I know I'm only in the beginning of what could be a really uncomfortable time. But... alas... she's worth it.

And then there's the Charlie Horses! God Almighty... a few nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night, yelling some very un-lady like obscenities and clutching my left calf. I had THREE charlie horses in a row! The minute it felt like it was getting better, it would get worse again. Aye aye aye. It was horrible. I finally had to get up and walk around the bedroom in order for the muscles to relax. And then I was sore for a week! No kidding, a week! In the days that followed I tried eating as many bananas as I could get my hands on (not sure if this is just a rumor, or a medical fact, but I thought I'd try it), and started trying to drink a lot more water. Geez, I definitely don't want a repeat of that experience. yuck yuck yuck. Johnny was kind enough to remind me (in the middle of my charlie horse episode) that this was "good practice" for labor. He was trying to calm me, and I was trying to just deal with the pain... so in a way I guess he was right. aye aye aye...

And yes... only 78-ish more days to go! I can't believe it! I'm almost 6 1/2 months pregnant. I think Johnny and I are going to go pick up the crib (thanks so much Mom and Graeme!) and rocking chair (thanks Dad and Carrie!) tonight. We don't have anywhere to set them up yet, but maybe getting them in the house will help to spur us along. We'll also have to pick up the car seat and stroller (thanks Debbie and John!) in the next few weeks just in case she comes early. (let's hope not). (btw... aren't parents the best!)

OK, I better wrap this up. Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christi,

    I never got any charlie horses but I do remember the sharp pains I got in my tummy. Just like a knife in my side when I would roll over and get out of bed. It is the ligaments that hold your growing uterus in place. They are normally so tiny but in pregnancy get HUGE.

    Johnnie is right - the charlie horses are a good time to practice for labor pains. Try to relax and breathe... Hah! Easier said than done, but you must try, and you must practice. That muscle cramp was out of your conscious control and so will labor be.

    Go online and watch some large animals giving birth - cows and horses. Then practice becoming the animal.

    Love,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got charlie horses. Painful! I love that Johnny was reminding you of your upcoming pain. It gave me a little giggle to invision you in labor and Johnny saying something...stupid (all men say something stupid, although I don't remember Andy saying anything. That was probably best).

    Parents are the best. Those big purchases can be so overwhelming. It's so nice when others help out.

    ReplyDelete