At the time of this draft our sweetie is 5 1/2 weeks old. And she just started smiling!!!
It was on Thursday that she did it the first time, and she has given us a few sweet smiles every day. Here's a picture!

AND... she has been such a wonderful sleeper this week! This week was the first week that she has been sleeping in her crib in her own room (rather than in the bassinet in our bedroom) and she's done fabulously! She has only woken up once or twice each night... except for Friday night where she slept for 8 hours straight! I couldn't believe it! Of course... the night she slept for 8 hours Johnny woke me up every two or three hours asking me to turn on the video baby monitor to check on her. (if it's not one thing it's another... ;) ) Truth be told, I was worried about her too and appreciated him reminding me to check on her. I finally woke her up at 6:30am (after her being asleep for 8 hours) to feed her and make sure everything was ok. It was.
I've been reading about baby sleep patterns (typical of me... I know). Babies actually have sleep cycles which are much shorter than outs. Adult sleep cycles are about 3 - 3 1/2 hours long... baby sleep cycles are only about 1 1/2 hours long. They first go into a light sleep phase where they move around, have rapid eye movement, and (if they're like Annie) grunt and groan a lot. Then they go into their deeper sleep for between 30 minutes and an hour. The cycle then repeats.
I figured out, after four weeks of Annie sleeping in our room, that she actually didn't really need anything from me every time she woke up grunting and groaning. In fact, she wasn't even really awake, but had just come out of her deep sleep and was still in light sleep. Therefore... if she was still asleep, then shouldn't we still be asleep? Thus... the move into her own room. And she's doing fabulously.
This week Annie will turn 6 weeks old which means we can finally take her inside public places. (like the grocery store). I'm hoping I won't feel quite so cooped up and dependent once we hit this milestone. I'll actually be able to take her places rather than having to wait until Johnny and I are both free so he can wait in the car with her while i go inside. OR... we could even go to the mall to do some walking inside where it's not so hot.
Speaking of the weather, it's been in the 90's this week. All of you TX folks, I know you're thinking "Duh... it's July... shouldn't it be in the 90's?" But this is a major heat wave for the PacNW. First of all, most people don't have AC in their homes! (We do, thank God!)
Anywho... I'd better get back to those dishes. Annie is taking a late nap right now (it's about 4:45 and she only fell asleep about 15 minutes ago) and the dishes have piled up from dinner last night and today.
Love to you all. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment