After the wedding, I crashed on Saturday. I think I took a 3 hour nap, then slept for 12 hours that night. I'm such a party animal...
On Sunday we were hanging around Johnny's parents' house and his mom comes into the room where Johnny and I were watching a movie. She is carrying a large gift bag and sets it down in front of me saying something about just wanting to get us a little something. I look at her with a big smile and proceed to open the present. And then, I just start blubbering and crying.
It was one of those little musical bunnies that hangs in the baby crib... with the pull down string so that the lullaby will start... ya know what I'm talking about? Here's a picture...

Anyway, I just fell apart. I thought, "Wow. Our baby is actually going to hold and touch this thing... it's the first thing that is really just for them." It all became way too real for me. Even though I've seen the little heart on the ultrasound, and I know I'm really pregnant, it's like it's still not real. I just can't believe it! But this... this brought it all home. ...at least for a few minutes.
After I composed myself a little, the next gifts were two baby blankets that have been in Johnny's family for two generations (will be three when this little tadpole becomes a baby in our arms). The first is a little blue baby blanket made by a friend of the family years and years ago. I don't remember if it was made for Johnny's Mom when she was a baby, or Johnny (I'll have to ask).
Then the really special one... The second blanket is a little yellow blanket that was the blanket that Johnny's mother was brought home from the hospital in, and that Johnny and both of his sisters were brought home in. Of course it's just being loaned to me and I'll gladly pass it on to Kim or Jaclyn when they need it. Johnny's Mom showed it to me years ago, before Johnny and I were married, so I've known about it for a while, but it's different now that it's in our house and I know that our baby is going to be brought home in it. In a little less than 7 months. wow wow wow.
No comments:
Post a Comment